Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Recovery


Later that evening I was moved into another private room where I would be staying for the next few days while I recovered. It was a nice room with a pull out bed for Tristan. Allison was able to "room in" with us which really helped us bond as a family. The nurses were really sweet and helpful except one which mother nicknamed "Nurse Latchless." She was a rigid woman who came back out of retirement after 10 years. Another nurse student was very sweet and helpful. She had five children herself and was very encouraging toward my nursing efforts. That first night, I begged every nurse that came in to please remove my catheter. They kept telling me no, but finally about 5 am the next morning, a nurse came into remove it. I had to sit up on the side of the bed for a while before trying to stand with the nurses help. I made it to the bathroom and back to the side of the bed where I sat for a while longer. I felt better. Mom was right about moving around. She said it hurts at first but the more you move the better you'll feel. Later that morning I was able to move to a recliner where I welcomed visitors and nurses for most of the day. Tristan went back and forth from the hospital to our house getting things I had forgotten or realized I needed. That evening, we settled in for our next night in the hospital. Allison woke up ever 2 -4 hours to eat and cry and then sleep again. The exhaustion began to set in. I could have sent her to the nursery, but I did not want her to leave my side. The next day we welcomed many more visitors. The doctor said I was healing nicely and maybe could go home tomorrow. I relaxed and enjoyed my time with sweet baby Allison. We spent one more night and were released the following day around 2pm. Sarah came to the hospital to help us get our things together. We loaded up the car, but did not anticipate how difficult it would be to install the car seat, especially in 105 degree weather. Finally it was in and we were ready to make our journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment