Sunday, August 31, 2008

The First Month


She will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. Oh how I can't believe the first month is over! She had her 2 week checkup with Dr. Ashcraft. All was perfect except that she hadn't gained back to her birth weight. The pediatrician decided my breast milk was insufficient because of my Reduction Mammaplasty 10 years ago. I was very disappointed about having to give her formula. I am a firm believer in exclusive breastfeeding. I gave in and started supplementing. At the end of the second week we went back for a weight check. She weighed in at 7 lbs 2 oz. I was relieved. Her cord stump fell off while we were there. During the third week her movements became much more vigorous. She started holding her head up for periods of 5 to 10 seconds at a time, and she started moving herself in the crib and on the floor. She can follow an object with her eyes, but not very far or for very long. Just this past week she started smiling in response to me. I even heard a little giggle. She coos and grunts now in addition to crying. Last night she got her first bath in the bathtub. She seemed to really like being in the warm water, and did not cry at all. Impressive! Today she made her debut at church. She was finally able to wear a newborn size dress (instead of preemie) and she looked so so so adorable!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog!! Your baby is adorable :)

    LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so cute!! I'm excited that she is able to wear more than her preemie onesies now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to everyone who left me a comment!

    ReplyDelete